Student visa requirements
You can apply for a student visa if:
- You have received an unconditional offer of study from an approved sponsoring institution
- You have received a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from your sponsoring institution
- You score at least 70 points on the points-based system
- Can demonstrate English language ability (at CEFR level B2)
- Able to support yourself financially and pay for your course
If you are applying from outside the UK you can apply for a Student visa 6 months before the course starts and you will usually receive a decision within 3 weeks. Providing the course is longer than 6 months, successful applicants may be able to arrive in the UK 1 month before it begins.
Applicants inside the UK must apply before your current visa expires and at least 3 months before the course starts. A decision is usually provided within 8 weeks.
Students aged 18 or over attending a degree level course will usually be able to remain in the UK for up to 5 years. For studies below this level, the maximum period of stay is usually capped at 2 years.
Child Student visas
You can apply for a Child Student visa if you have:
- An unconditional offer from an eligible independent school
- Access to enough money to support yourself financially and pay for your studies
- Consent granted by your parent(s) or guardian(s) to study in the UK
For more detailed advice based on your individual situation, you can speak with our immigration solicitors about Child Student visa requirements or any other related enquiry.
Short-term study visa
You may be eligible for a Short-term study visa if you:
- Are attending an English language course that lasts longer than 6 months
- Have been accepted onto a course with an accredited provider
- Can prove you can pay for your course and support yourself financially
If you want to attend an English language course that lasts longer than 6 months, you can apply for a Short-term study visa that will be valid for up to 11 months.
Why choose us?
Studying is difficult and stressful enough without the extra worry of dealing with visas and legal complications. Expert Law are specialists in this area and can support your application for a visa so you can focus on your planned move and education. We’ll help you choose the most appropriate visa based on your circumstances and will manage the entire process, so you receive the best possible outcome.